Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Your Heart Is Free Have The Courage To Follow It






To either liven things up or out of sheer desperation the community turned to me to preach this week. I really did put some time and thought into it so it does read a bit like my normal blogs. I appreciate the brave souls that came out and listened and even stayed.I included my Powerpoint from that night.  Plus Happy Birthday Sister Malou!  




Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time


Reading 1 Sirach 15:15-20

If you choose to keep the commandments they will save you. 
The Ten Commandments are a gift. 
They are not shackles they are a gift meant to free you. 
The eyes of God see all he has made. That includes you and me.
Psalm ps 119:1-2, 4-5, 17-18, 33-34

Blessed are they who follow the law of the Lord!

follow the way of God and you will have no worries. 
being good to your servant which I take to mean be good to those who some may see as less than yourself. 
pray that you have the discipline and the care and the grace to follow the Law. 

Second Reading 1 Cor 2:6-10

God has revealed wisdom to us through the Spirit. 
The Law of God does not really have it's origin from man but from God. 
To achieve what is Divine or what is beyond human capability we have to act what is beyond normal human experience and human expectation. 

Gospel Matthew  5:17-37

Messiah does not erase , preclude or disregard the Law of Moses. 
Key here is to understand the law and through the example of Jesus is to do follow the law and go even beyond that . He is not there to contradict but to enhance.
When we read the phrase " not the smallest letter or the smallest part
Jesus  life and teaching are definitive revaluation of the will of God.


YOU SAY:                         JESUS SAYS:
No Murder                         Not even anger
No Adultery                       Not even an adulterous thought
Divorce for Indecency         No divorce
No false oaths                   No oaths at all
An eye for an eye              No retaliation
Love your neighbor             Love your enemies

Possible springboard Questions:
1. What has been my approach to the buffet of God's Law? Is it the way God would want us to approach the buffet?

2. What have my been my "battles"? What do I have around me now that I have easy access to that I can use as a resource as additional weapons in my future battles ?

3. In what areas am I just satisfied with man's law as opposed to going and making the effort to go beyond man's law and get much closer to what Jesus said is his law , by his example?



If the questions do not make sense, you should listen to the podcast of the entire talk. 




Ed


This week's Gospel readings are here.

Powerpoint for this week's readings is here. 

https://www.mediafire.com/?b5fxbk2kn9k5ddf




Mediafire of the podcast for this week is here


http://www.mediafire.com/listen/lqv00y5i2j1bogc/Ed_SOW_Feb_16_2014_Gospel__Full.mp3  (podcast) 


All Verbum Dei Audio in Dropbox here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bhkkb3qsi4o8n33/wJUOiVP68V


page 52 in Sharper Than A Sword  by Father James McTavish

Mediafire for all the School of the Word audio is here:

 http://www.mediafire.com/?2ydbw8552x5fe

No comments:

Post a Comment